Monday, May 20, 2019

CST 361S Technology Tutors


This week, I volunteered with LFC on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. I couldn’t keep track of my hours this week but it's around 5,5 and 4 I believe. So, a total of maybe 14 this week. This week, I learned how to repair Chromebooks, which was not something I knew how to do before. I learned how to do simple repairs like replacing a trackpad, then moved onto replacing screens, the tops, and bottoms of the case, the keyboard, and the motherboard. I enjoyed doing that work this week. I learned a lot and they were always simple repairs. Hopefully, I do something harder when I come back from my cousin’s wedding in San Diego in 2 weeks.
I talked with another volunteer who was from Monterey Peninsula College, who was finishing up his Computer Networking degree and studying for the A+ certification. I talked with my Chromebook supervisor who had some computer experience a long time ago but didn’t pursue it further. I told him about the different certifications he could take like the A+, CCNA, and Security+ after learning more about them from the volunteer from MPC. The owner of the computer store was waiting for a meeting to start in the same room and told us about the free computer classes that are offered to low-income residents.  
On Friday, I talked to another volunteer from MPC, a young Latina woman majoring in Computer Science and Engineering. I asked her why she thinks Hispanics and African Americans don’t usually major in Computer Science and she told me she thought they don’t because of discrimination in the workplace which affects their ability to get promoted. I thought it was an interesting answer. I believe motivation and what a person likes about their job/programming will explain why people major in what they major in. I asked my boyfriend’s parents who are both software managers why they liked programming. His dad liked programming because you can solve problems with very creative solutions that no one has ever thought of before. His mom liked programming because she could make useful tools for herself like calendars. Another volunteer I asked this same question to said that he liked that when he fixed computers, he could see tangible results and make people happy by fixing something important to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cst 499 week 8

This week, we finished writing the paper in order to do the best job possible even if it was a little bit late. Now that everything is done,...