Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Week 5


·       Part One: Support and Comment on Teammates' Goals (30 min)
o   Visit at least two of your team members' blogs on educational goals and career goals last week. Compare theirs to your own. Provide comments, encouragement, and suggestions to their goals as if you are their trusted coach. Please provide the links of the students you commented on in your learning journal. 
§  Commented on Matthew’s and Raymond’s journals
§  Matthew
§  Raymond
·       https://raymondcsumb.blogspot.com/2018/09/module-4-goals.html?showComment=1538463266579#c8509973914426052184
·       Part Two: Possible Capstone Ideas (30 min)
o   After viewing at least 3 presentations of capstone, list three possible capstone projects you might choose to do at the end of your study.
§  I want to do a capstone project that is not too difficult, is informative, is something I could show at job interviews, and is fun.
·       An interactive website or chromebook specific app that teaches middle/high schoolers how to set goals
·       An app that ranks specific dishes across different restaurants in your area by vote and/or user suggestion
·       A program that allows teachers to black and white list websites and/or monitor multiple computers at once.
·       Part Three: Keep Up With Your Learning Journal (30 min)
o   Update the learning journal to include what have you learned from this week's activities, including if you are thinking about internship or graduate programs.  
§  The readings said that I should go to networking events in my junior year. I feel strange not having a business card when I do go to events but would feel even stranger if my business card just had my contact info, an unrelated non-tech job, and student.
§  In the internship presentation overview, the students were doing a lot of complicated things. I hope I can get an internship this year. I would also be interested in research on campus if it was paid or had a stipend. I also learned from the presentation that I need to quantify my achievements in my resume so they will sound better.
§  Inferences are conclusions made from seeing something else that was true. Assumptions are something we have learned before and don’t question
§  In the fallacies reading, I learned about various appeals which are fallacies and how to avoid them. In previous classes, I have learned about differing ones such as red herring, post hoc, and slippery slope. This week, I was able to learn about the appeal to pity. I have seen it countless times on commercials about dogs or children but I didn’t know it could also be a fallacy.
§  I learned about loaded words, which are loaded when they have secondary evaluative meanings. It is a subfallacy of begging the question because it assumes an evaluation has not been proved.  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie!

    Not too difficult is a constraint for a capstone project proposal. That is especially true given the project needs to be finished over the course of an eight-week period; limiting the scope is a good way to keep the project manageable.

    I am curious what how you would design that middle/high-schooler goal setting app. Especially when it comes to the UI/UX goal setting & keeping is an important subject for people at that age, so it is especially important to retain their attention.

    The dish rating/ranking app is also interesting. I wonder how you plan to link posts to dishes. Will you use the restaurant's menu?

    I don't quite understand your third blacklist/whitelist monitoring application proposal. Can you add more detail?

    ReplyDelete

cst 499 week 8

This week, we finished writing the paper in order to do the best job possible even if it was a little bit late. Now that everything is done,...